03 April 2011

23 hours of Japan

The day we saw Japan

Well, I feel we've done ourselves a terrible injustice. Traveling a by plane 10ish hours, to take a bus for 2hrs and a train for 1hr to get to our destination in Japan, only to turn around less than 23hrs later to make the return journey to Narita Airport and leave for Thailand.


The guy at the immigration counter cocked a eyebrow and asked, “for one day?”



We nodded dumbly, because that's all we could do. It's hard to explain in a look that our plan had been altered so many times we weren't sure anymore what we were doing or why.


So the majority of Japan (what little we saw) was via a bus and 2 trains (which is a bit sad, considering said train goes underground at all the fun spots, like Tokyo). And, did you know that Tokyo is like an hour from the airport? Well, now you know. I'd like to reassert a theory that comes to me every time I travel: things on a map appear SO much smaller than they do when you are there.


Looking over my writing, I see just how very whiny it sounds. My apologies. Japan was great. The Korean food we had for dinner last night, far better than the one on Hawthorne in Portland. The people were friendly, inviting, fashionable, and kind, Amy mentioned that she needs to now channel her inner Asian and find that fashion sense. And people, bows are absolutely IN!



Yoko was such a wonderful host! Amy and I were well taken care of. If I hadn't know, because I have been religiously studying the aftermath of the recent earthquake, I don't think either of us would have known. It's incredible how intact and pristine Yokohama was.


Now, Amy and I find ourselves in Bangkok. And, that my friends, is an entry for another blog. But, I will leave you with this little gem... our taxi dropped us off on a street, with little to no English, pointing us vaguely down a street throbbing with Bangkok nightlife. It's a great story, I'll tell you all about in a bit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment